Marine Research Ltd. has started developing the Hydrosonic Research Center since 2013 based on the very good results from the previous years in the field of research and development. The project is aimed to lay the basis for the development of an excellence center and received co financing from the European Union and the Romanian Government. The Hydrosonic Research Center is structured in two laboratories, the Underwater Acoustics, Digital Cartography, GIS and Data Bases Laboratory and the Laboratory for Physical and Chemical Water Properties.
The Underwater Acoustics, Digital Cartography, GIS and Data Bases Laboratory is involved in:
- Bathymetrical mapping of marine and inland water
- Visualizing the seafloor
- Mapping the types of bottom sediment from lakes, rivers and the sea
- Microbathymetry and underwater imagery (visual and acoustic)
- Measuring the speed and direction of water currents
- Sedimentological and Geochemical investigations of sediments
Following the center’s activity, Marine Research Ltd. became an active contributor to the EMODnet Hydrography Portal, hosting one of the local servers, and is now part of a consortium with research institutes from the Black Sea neighboring countries and other European countries working for the DG Mare’s project on Black Sea Checkpoints.